[BC] Staffing levels

Mike McCarthy Towers at mre.com
Sun Jan 20 10:00:45 CST 2008

When Fank McCoy was DoE of Gulfstar, they were migrating in that very
direction when T-1 prices dropped and the ability to extend LAN's became
affordable. But Gulfstar changed strategies before that plan was fully
deployed when they became part of the core Clear Channel operation.
However, the die was cast largely.

To some extent, we too are doing this as well.  Two of our stations rent
space at a local studio for it's compulsory main studio and we program
everything from two locations, feeding everything by T-1 to the
TX.  Sporting News did this before they sold their stations.  Anyone who
has been a reader of these lists know the trend is towards general
operational consolidation is progressing faster than ever.

The most important aspect of this configuration is ownership needs to
understand two words: Redundancy and quality.  When you isolate your
studios from the transmitter to that extent, the operation can't
skimp.  The systems installed MUST be top quality and maintained/sustained
without shortcuts.  And there must be multiple means to sustain operations
when the main system(s) fail(s) in all but the most extreme
situations...like a complete antenna failure.  Otherwise, trips to the
outer reaches become frequent, costly, and counterproductive to the scale
of efficiency sought.

Adding to that, if a station desires to be particularly involved with the
local EMS operation, there needs to be a commitment to the extent needed to
sustain those operations in extreme conditions.  That can be a very
challenging effort when done from afar.

MM

At 03:34 PM 1/19/2008 -0700, Barry Mishkind wrote