[BC] Staffing levels

Tom Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:29:22 CST 2008

Interspersed...

Rich Wood wrote:
> ------ At 11:58 PM 1/20/2008, WBRadiolists at aol.com wrote: -------
>
>> This is what mystifies me so... has revenue to Radio dropped *that* much
>> since then? HOW did stations do it in those days? Full staffs like
>> this aren't
>> cheap, in *any* economy or Dollar value! So, HOW did they do it back
>> then, and
>> why can't they do it now?
>
> There are two reasons I can see. One is the reliability of
> contemporary equipment. It no longer requires a gaggle of engineers to
> keep a transmitter running. The second is the worship of Wall Street.
> Wall Street loves to see the firing of people. It makes the next
> quarter's earnings look much better. There's no long term for them.
> Ultimately, companies will suffer and Wall Street will abandon them
> after the top dudes cash in. Look at the current stock prices of some
> of the majors. Citadel, in particular, is taking a bath.
>
> The Clear Channel attempt to go private seems to be stalled because
> the current price is below what the deal calls for. Rumors are
> swirling that Sam Zell and Randy Michaels may end up owning the
> company. Sweet revenge for Randy.
No doubt; I also find it interesting that Emmis is hovering around
$2/share - of course, with Smulyan owning 51 percent of the voting
shares... The flagship cluster (1070, 93.1, 97.1, 105.7) are in the
midst of programming upheavals - with the News/Talk, and the call,
moving from 1070 to 93.1 as "The New 93, WIBC", and 1070 becoming "1070
The Fan" WFNI, and some personnel turnovers among the air staff on the
other two FMs, although they're still running "Hank-FM" on 97.1 and soft
AC / "Soft Rock" on 105.7.

Sidebar question - How can "Rock" be "Soft"?

Tom S.