[BC] Staffing levels

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Mon Jan 21 09:01:36 CST 2008

------ At 11:58 PM 1/20/2008, WBRadiolists at aol.com wrote: -------

>This is what mystifies me so... has revenue to Radio dropped *that* much
>since then? HOW did stations do it in those days? Full staffs like
>this aren't
>cheap, in *any* economy or Dollar value! So, HOW did they do it back
>then, and
>why can't they do it now?

There are two reasons I can see. One is the reliability of
contemporary equipment. It no longer requires a gaggle of engineers
to keep a transmitter running. The second is the worship of Wall
Street. Wall Street loves to see the firing of people. It makes the
next quarter's earnings look much better. There's no long term for
them. Ultimately, companies will suffer and Wall Street will abandon
them after the top dudes cash in. Look at the current stock prices of
some of the majors. Citadel, in particular, is taking a bath.

The Clear Channel attempt to go private seems to be stalled because
the current price is below what the deal calls for. Rumors are
swirling that Sam Zell and Randy Michaels may end up owning the
company. Sweet revenge for Randy.

Consolidated radio today seems to be about getting the most money for
the very few at the top as they attempt to go private. Once there's a
bigger mortgage on the company we'll see even more firings, more
voicetracking, smaller newsrooms and more stations added to each
engineer's responsibility.

All this results in less interesting and less relevant radio. It also
results in fewer listeners and lower revenue and makes us sitting
ducks for new technologies. When was the last time you listened to
mainstream radio and found yourself captivated by it? It's no longer showbiz.

Rich