[BC] Give me bargain...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 23 22:21:01 CST 2008

I once quoted $400 to do a remote.  The station manager asked for a
bargain so I said, "$600".  He then asked what happened to the
$400.00?  I told him that $400 was a steal and that $600 was a
bargain.  I did the remote and sent him a bill for $600.  He paid and
since he's never quibbled when I charge him $400.00.  A friend once
told me that someone who will undercut you knows what his work is worth.

Burt

At 05:53 PM 1/23/2008, you wrote:
>From: Cowboy <curt at spam-o-matic.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Staffing levels
>
>On Wednesday 23 January 2008 11:40 am, Rich Wood wrote:
> >  ------ At 11:21 AM 1/23/2008, Dave Dybas wrote: -------
> >
> >  >When I took my car into Firestone for repairs, they were
> charging $85/hr for
> >  >labor. I believe I'm worth at least that. However, when I quote that rate
> >  >most station managers go into "haggle mode" and put up a fuss.
> >
> >  Look at it from their vantage point. I'm sure the guy who changes
> >  tires isn't getting that $85 an hour.
>
>  I do, and have no trouble explaining that if they wish to assume
> the costs ( or risk )
>  of insurance, tooling, sick days, medical insurance, tool
> replacement, billing
>  and accounting costs, various punitive taxes leveled on the self employed,
>  etc. etc. etc. that we can talk about a rate more commensurate with what's
>  left after I pay all that, and more. ( government is by far the
> BIGGEST cost )
>
>  Remember that I don't get what I bill, either !
>
>--
>Cowboy

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services