[BC] "Mixing Product" for all you smart engineers...

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 00:41:59 CST 2008

Willie wrote:
> Just drive I-95 thru the Meadowlands, between NYC and NJ. The AM dial is
> useless. Completely unlistenable. All of those 50Kw stations just
utterly
> overwhelm the poor thing. I've heard it with at least 3 different
> cars/radios. Some fail sooner, some later, but once you're in the midst
> of that field of towers, the radio's toast until you get to the other
> side and away from it some distance.

You need better car radios. :-)  The stock Clarion-built radio in my '97
Volkswagen is fine on AM in the Meadowlands.  It does desense when you get
very close to hot AM towers, but I haven't heard any strange intermod.
I was able to carry a listenable signal from 1250 WMTR, a 5 kW suburban
station, all the way on I-78 East and NJ Turnpike (I-95) North until it
started fading out in Secaucus, and even then the signal was still
intelligible for quite a while until I gave up and switched to a different
station.  I didn't notice any strange effects on the local "NYC" AM
signals eminanting locally, except for the typical distortion in nulls on
the directional signals.

Ironically, I've also taken that car past the WMTR transmitter site in
Cedar Knolls, NJ, and the way I could tell I was getting close was when
another semi-distant signal started fading out due to the desense from
WMTR's signal.  The neat thing is that there's a Wal-Mart less than half a
mile away and WMTR plays Oldies music in full 10 kHz bandwidth, so it's a
great AM signal to use to test radios in the store, even if they don't
have any antenna hooked up!