[BC] Interesting new VOIP phone company

Mike McCarthy Towers at mre.com
Sat Jan 26 22:22:08 CST 2008

All my desktops run 24/7. There are many applications which run over night.
Virus scans, back-ups, etc.

The #1 reason for premature power supply and HD failures in my experience
has been related to constant power up and down.  Much the same as cart
machine motors which saw their bearings fail more often when run
intermittently. The machine(s) in the control room which were always
spinning failed every couple years.  The ones in production and news which
were at times set to operate only when a cart is inserted failed more
frequently despite less usage. That's one reason I liked the Tomcats over
the ITC's.  The motor was servo controlled instant start and they didn't
heat as much.  resulting in less bearing stress.

The HD's and PS's which run 24/7 tell you when they're starting to suffer
issues.  Machines with their power bounced will often not until it's too late.

MM

At 09:49 PM 1/26/2008 -0500, engineermike wrote