[BC] RFI stalls cars near Empire State Building

Scott Fybush scott at fybush.com
Mon Jan 28 09:41:55 CST 2008

Tom wrote:
> Besides which, Empire's already BEEN hit by a plane.... I forget the
> date, but it was brought up right after 9/11 that if the Twin Towers had
> been built like Empire, they probably would NOT have collapsed.
> Tom S.
>
> Scott Fybush wrote:
>> Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote:
>>> I can't believe some jerk actually posted a comment
>>> suggesting flying planes into the building to solve the
>>> issue! I reported it as abuse and recommended it be
>>> forwarded to law enforcement. I'd like to meet him.
>>> Problem would be solved right up.
>>
>> It seems to me a plane flying near Empire would be in the path of a
>> lot more RF than a car parked 1300 feet straight down from the antennas.

I should know better than to even attempt tongue-in-cheek in the
presence of the master...sorry, Tom O!

Yes, Empire certainly was hit by a plane - a B-25 that slammed into the
79th floor in 1945. When most of 79 was converted from offices to
transmitter rooms after 9/11, and the false ceiling was removed, you
could (and still can) see the scorch marks on the walls and ceiling near
the elevator where some of the debris came to rest.

http://history1900s.about.com/od/1940s/a/empirecrash.htm