[BC] FCC greenlights Clear Channel deal

Mike McCarthy Towers at mre.com
Mon Jan 28 09:45:16 CST 2008

It's especially bad with these so called trusts as there is no end game
other than the sale. Job security is next to non-existent as it's all about
the short term revenues.  Often, contact guys are used to simply keep them
running in the one/two station trusts.  It's rare to see more than that in
a separation trust.  OTOH, the contract guys generally get paid in a timely
manner as the trust wants nothing to disrupt/hinder a possible sale. I've
done work for a few trusts and my experience with them other than accepting
the fact there will be no planned projects is they pay in line with my best
clients.

I happen to disagree with the generalized throwing good money after bad
conclusion.  In homes, the fastest and most economical manner to sell a
house as high as possible is to sell with a fresh paint job and new
carpet.  Sure, you'll never use the carpet to it's value.  But if it gets
you asking price versus a 10% discount due to all the smells, engrained
traffic patterns, furniture dents, etc.  I'll take that to the bank in a
heartbeat.

  In a couple sales I knew about, we (seller) installed new TX's and
accessories to replace dilapidated equipment.  The seller realized their
asking price after we did that where several previous offers came with
contingency/escrow provisions to replace equipment at a more substantial
discount off the total sales price. The end result was a LOT more money for
the seller and fewer closing hassles for everyone.  Which also translates
to the bottom line as less lawyer and intermediary time/costs and faster
closings.

Sellers which simply look to sell a plant in really tough shape in AS-IS
condition short change themselves unless the plants are already in very
good shape or they're desperate.

MM

At 08:26 AM 1/28/2008 -0500, Rich Wood wrote