[BC] RFI near Empire State Building

R A Meuser rameuser at ieee.org
Tue Jan 29 12:00:34 CST 2008

Bob

I would not dispute your technical comments, but what I posted was an
estimate that if you look at the numbers has over a 100% fudge
factor. Of course it would be difficult to make an accurate wideband
voltage measurement which would probably be meaningless as it relates
to what an vehicular RFID would see anyway. Free space loss has any
one UHF source is a low of about 400 millivolts to a high of over 2
volts, depending on the station and the direction. A number of
locations where cars are having problems such as around Madison
Square garden are a good free space path. The article seems to
reference a number of incidents on 35th street between Lexington and
Madison, pretty clear shots. We do not know the actual data, only
what the Daily News printed, but I would bet there are no problems on
33rd or 34th between 5th and 6th or 5th and 6th between 33rd and 34th streets.

Regarding antennas, as I am sure you recall, the CBS DTV antenna was
described at the time as a science project intended to get HDTV on
air for the 1998 winter Olympics. We all know that did not
happen.   The antenna was placed in the existing CBS aperture on the
tower. At the time there was a fully circular UHF antenna on top of
the tower. No other station had any interest in that antenna until
after 911 and even then it took quite some time to get everything
organized. There was an equally poorly situated master DTV antenna on WTC.

A number of us got a good laugh when we saw the drawing for the MOAPA
and were wondering what whomever thought it would actually be built
was smoking.

After Feb 2009, the DTV master will be shut down so that major
revisions to the pattern can be made.