[BC] TV Set/Converter

Broadcast List Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue Jan 1 21:10:43 CST 2008

The short answer is that a CRT is going to have the best picture,
PERIOD, end of discussion.  That is why I have a 308 pound CRT based
HDTV in my living room.

CRTs have the brightest picture, best color, and best contrast ratio
(blackest blacks).  The refresh rates are the best as well.  CRTs
rule.  Of course, they (generally) use more power, weigh a lot more,
and are DEEP.  Even high deflection tubes are deep.  OH, on the other
hand they don't go bad as you get off axis.  You can be at pretty big
angles and still see a good picture.  They are great for a room full
of viewers who cannot sit in line with the display.  Like I wrote,
CRTs rule.

CRTs last MUCH longer than LCDs or Plasma displays.  LCDs and Plasma
displays used to have AWFUL life spans, but they are now more
acceptable.  CRTs die slowly, and can be corrected as they age.  LCDs
don't really age, but they just die.  Generally, the fluorescent tube
(backlight) just goes bad.

Sadly, it is becoming more and more difficult to buy a CRT based
HDTV.  Inexpensive, and LARGE SDTV and even SOME EDTV CRT sets are
fairly common.  The public has the impression that THIN screens (not
flat screens, as CRTs can be FLAT) are actually NECESSARY for HD.
They are wrong, of course, but that is why VHS won out over Beta.

The NTSC CRT set in our bedroom is dying, and I would like to improve
the picture over the 20 inch Sony NTSC CRT there now.  The
replacement WILL be a LCD TV.  The place we want it (this is NOT
critical viewing, only a bedroom) is between two doors, so it has to
be less than 29 inches wide.  This limits me to a 26 inch LCD TV or a
30 inch Apple display which needs a high end computer with a DUAL DVI
port to drive it -- so a $800-900 LCD Sony or similar, or $1500 Apple
display and at least a $1500 computer to drive it...  Um, as much of
an Apple guy as I am... not really an option.

BUT, if picture quality was an issue, mostly color saturation and
contrast ratio, there is no way I would pick an LCD.  Plasma has a
better picture, but there are no 26 inch plasma sets.  Sure, there
are plenty of 26 inch CRTs, but aesthetics do come into play in a non-
critical viewing situation.  We want it on the wall.

LCDs have the WORST picture, but frankly they are not all that bad
for bedroom, bathroom, kitchen viewing.  However, unlike CRTs (which
only contain metals, some of it lead) LCDs have fluorescent lights as
back-lights.  Those contain MERCURY.  (Yes, I know mercury is another
metal).  Anyone who tells you CRTs pollute and LCDs do not is WRONG.
I would rather be exposed to lead than mercury.

(Yes, I know a few LCDs in laptops now have LEDs as backlights.  No
TVs so far, and I think the biggest is 15 inches, so far.)

One last thing for your poor friend.  Cable companies are whores.  We
were about to go to Dish Network and Comcrap, er, Comcast <http://
comcastmustdie.com/> offered us the "Dish Buyback" plan. It is Basic
and Extended Digital for $19.95 a month!  We also have HBO and
Cinemax FREE for three months, and $9.95 a month for BOTH for a YEAR.
(They are normally $18.85 EACH every month.)  We have one HD DVR for
$8.95 a month!  Our cable bill is $29 a month for everything!  Yes,
in a month it is going up to $39 a month, but after a year (when
Comcrap goes to normal pricing) we go to FIOS.  They are here now,
but how can I change from the plan I have now?

He cannot play the system forever, but he can get a deal for a year
or two, then switch providers for another year or two.  The only
question is how long can he keep switching back and forth?  I don't
know -- I'll let you know when we are forced to stop!

--chip