[BC] Getting phones on the air

Chuck Lakaytis chuck at akpb.org
Wed Jan 2 19:12:15 CST 2008

In the early Seventies I was CE for KOPN in Columbia, Missouri.  I
got a frantic call from the GM that the audio on the air was not the
audio from the studio.  I flipped the station on and heard two women
comparing cherry pie recipes, along with the information that one of
the husbands was not the most sober guy in the world.  I went to the
transmitter site that was located on the top floor of a high rise
building for the handicapped and elderly.  I knew that something was
afoot with the telco when I saw three of their trucks in the parking
lot.  It seems that they had a cable failure into the building and
were busy punching down the "spare pairs", one of which was the
undocumented program line for the station.  As I recall, the
conversation was a lot more entertaining then the regularly scheduled program!