[BC] Short AM Tower

Bobby Cox bcox at kintronic.com
Thu Jan 3 16:06:46 CST 2008

The low profile antenna (a.k.a. Kinstar) is a simple, series fed
configuration.  It's basically a really fat barrel formed by 4 vertical
cable elements that are then top loaded very heavily to give a fairly
uniform and high level of current in these four vertical elements.  The
4 top hat elements are much longer than you could put on a single stick
radiator via guy elements.  They extend out further than the barrel is
tall.

For a case when a single short stick is required, the best bandwidth
I've personally achieved is for a flared cage on a grounded mast.  We
use these for military all-band AM antennas.  We have to use a 50 meter
stick across the entire AM band.  An egg beater style cage can keep
reasonable bandwidth way down through the band better than any top
loaded, series fed configuration I've run across (on a single stick).
It stays reasonable on bandwidth on down to roughly 45 degrees height.
Below that it's tough going and the bandwidth narrows rapidly with
decreasing frequency.

We use a slightly different version of the Kinstar on other military
fly-away broadcast systems that are much shorter than 50 meters.  They
use 4 poles and use the same concept as the Kinstar.....i.e. like a
series fed monocone.

Best Regards,

Bobby Cox , Ph.D.
Senior Staff Engineer