[BC] Robust headphones

Broadcast List Broadcast at fetrow.org
Fri Jan 4 14:55:29 CST 2008

Comfortable?  I like IEMs (In Ear Monitors).  Even on awful hot,
humid days, no hair sweat.  No head band either.

I fly a lot and like to protect my hearing, flying or not, so
blocking outside noise is important to me.  MOST IEMs block outside
sound well, better than the Bose noise canceling headphones.  I have
a set of the over the ear Bose, and while they do block SOME noise,
it isn't great, and they don't sound good at all.  "No highs, no
lows, must be Bose."  I only really like one of their products, the
800 sound reinforcement speakers.  Lugging four of those beats the
heck out of four EV 6301s!

 From there I tried Etymotic Research ER-4P IEMs. <http://
www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx>

I immediately fell in love with them, and couldn't live without
them.  I nearly intentionally missed a plane because I dropped them
somewhere in an airport and just had to find them before getting on
any plane.  Since it was an ERJ, and my seat was toward the rear I
REALLY needed them!

In my quest for better sound, I bought the Shure SE530 phones.
<http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/SEModels/
us_pa_se530_content>  They sound pretty good (great for headphones)
but have a tad too much bass.  Like many headphones and speakers, the
extra bass is initially very inviting, but over time it shows up as
what it is -- not flat.  They cost more than the ER4Ps did -- a lot
more.

The Shure IEMs come with a cool thing that I never use.  You put it
in line with the cord and when the flight attendant wants to talk to
you, you just push a button and it cuts off the music and turns on a
mic!  When you release the button things return to normal.  I love
it, but I never bother to use it.  The Bose also have a smart cord.
It is very short, perfect for carrying the iPod in a shirt pocket.
All the other IEMs have cords that are far too long.  The Bose also
comes with an extension cord.

The ER-4P is a lot clearer, and flatter.  MAYBE the ER-4P could have
a bit more output at the extreme high end, but I have yet to find any
phones that sound better.  Only my electrostatic speakers have
better, cleaner, clearer highs.  The ER-4P is intended for portable
use.  They are more efficient than the ER-4S.  It turns out you can
pad the ER-4P and turn them into the "S" model.  I did, and they do
sound a bit better.  I bought a Simpl Accoustics A1 amplifier but it
really isn't needed even with the pad -- at least for me.  It is very
cool the way it attaches to an ipod.  <http://www.simpl.com/
products.html>

I am going to buy a set of Ultimate Ears UE-10 or UE-11.  I haven't
decided which ones, and you cannot return them or even sell or give
them to anyone since they are custom molded to each buyer's ears.
I'm a little concerned the UE-11s may have too much bass.  <http://
www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/products/custom/
ue11pro_description.php>

By the way, both UE and Etymotic make "ear plugs" with different
attenuation but flat frequency response.  I wear ear plugs at rock
concerts and they normally do muddy the sound.  I need to get some of
these.

I cannot normally use either of the IEMs around the house.  I cannot
hear the doorbell or the phone.  They are totally unsuitable for
outdoor sports like cycling or running.  The lack of hearing could
get you killed.

Obviously no one will want to share IEMs but I think sharing
headphones is a bad idea anyway, as I have already written.  Just
like rental cars versus personally owned vehicles...

Beyond the IEMs, it depends on where they are going to be used.  The
Grado RS-1 over the ear headphones sound good.  Koss Pro 4 AA and AAA
headphones sound fair, play LOUD, block sound OK, and are the classic
DJ phones. My Pro 4 AAs are about 35 years old and still have the
original cord on them.  My AAAs are maybe 10 years newer and are also
in fine shape.  I have Sony MDR-V6 which are OK and much more
comfortable than the Koss.  I have the Koss Electrostatic phones.
They are just as uncomfortable as the Pro 4AA, but they really do
sound very good.  They are a pain in the rear end to use, and to
drive.  The "special" cord has to plug into a box that has to be
driven by a fairly high power amplifier.  I use a Crown D-75 as a
headphone amp for those -- the speaker out, not the headphone out.
Even so, they are not DJ loud.

Most any of the Stax Earspeakers sound fantastic.  I am amazed at how
it doesn't seem/sound like I am wearing headphones, except that the
ones I have used are the size of a small box of tissues on each side
of the head.  The new ones are smaller, but I haven't tried them.
<http://www.stax.co.jp/#>

There is an amazing discussion board on all things headphone
related.  Give them a try:  <http://www.head-fi.org/>

--chip