[BC] question for you engineers, take 2

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sun Jan 6 00:22:46 CST 2008

So I just found an article from late January 1929 (!) that says phone
calls were put on the air from station KSTP in St. Paul MN, by means
of "a special telephone-microphone pick-up."  The photo shows an
announcer, identified as Jack Little, talking into an old-style phone
with that candlestick style (there's a name for that type of phone,
but I don't recall it) .  There is a microphone, but it's next to the
other announcer on the show, Harry Giese.  The photo could certainly
have been staged (the story comes from the Associated Press), but it
describes how during the show, the announcers asked if people were
listening from a long distance, invited them to call, and a guy from
Texas did so, whereupon his call was put on the air.  So, the
suggestions you good folks offered about how America's Town Meeting
of the Air might have put callers on the air live... that was in
1935.  Would the same process have been possible for telephones in
the late 1920s?