[BC] Early mobile phones

Tom Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 20:18:55 CST 2008

When I worked at channel 13 (WTHR), we upgraded the entire 2-way system;
switched from Motorola to Standard.  Including adding a third and fourth
repeater pair for mobile repeat use - News used the lower set
(450.2125/455.2125 and 450.3125/455.3125); operations used the other set
- 450.4125/455.4125 and 450/5125/455.5125 - including the microwave
trucks for link setup and IFB use.  (the trucks could swap the MR
setups, if necessary - using 5125 to relay news or 3125 for operations -
but I don't think we ever had to.  Statute of limitations; we did
occasionally use the MR and the handhelds on high power if we were in a
difficult setup - like from the basement of a steel-frame building...)

The Standard handhelds would run for literally hours key-down with no
problems; just to see what we had, we fed one into a dummy load and a
spectrum analyzer with a pencil holding the PTT button (pressure applied
by large rubber band).  IIRC, we got just over 8 hours continuous with
no reduction in signal; after that, the battery was the limiting factor
- the case was barely warm.

Tom S.

snip