[BC] uplink ERP - RF hazard?

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 22:13:09 CST 2008

I doubt seriously you'd even get the sunburn. We're talking **1** watt here.
That's all there is. What you have to remember is that the so-called "gain"
of the dish is simply its ability to FOCUS that 1 watt in a single
direction. The gain figure comes from calculating what the power radiated
from an isotropic (meaning a theoretical single point of radiation) antenna,
would have to be to equal the signal strength in the strongest lobe from the
dish antenna. Using your numbers, the dish can focus your 1 watt of power
into a signal powerful enough, AT ITS  STRONGEST POINT, to equal a
non-directional antenna putting out 20,000 watts. Keep in mind that the
signal from a 20,000 watt non-directional antenna would be bathing your
whole body in radiation--not just the small point from the beam that the
dish puts out.

So-called power gain is not magical; it is simply the ability of the antenna
to focus the energy fed into it. The law of conservation of energy is still
in effect.

Jerry Mathis

--
Jerry Mathis