[BC] uplink ERP - RF hazard?

Broadcast List Broadcast at fetrow.org
Sun Jan 13 19:48:33 CST 2008

OK, to address some of this stuff...

Keep in mind that the limits are several hundred times less than
where anyone THINKS there is an issue -- and the only issue from non-
ionizing radiation is heating, nothing more.

There are only really TWO issues for heating, one important and one
-- not so much.

The first is the eyes.  Because the eyes are filled with fluid, and
there is no blood flow to remove the heat, heating the eyes is a real
concern.  I know someone who looked into the PA of a C-Band dish and
really hurt himself.  He has no night vision, and his vision is very
much damaged.  His eyes were heated, and damaged.  Don't do that!

The other is the testicles.  They hang to keep cooler than the
nominal 98.6 Degrees Fahrenheit (great song, 98.6 by Keith) of the
rest of our (male) bodies in order to produce sperm.  If they are
heated, they stop producing sperm.  HOWEVER, once they cool, they
begin again.  No harm, no problem, and for me, GOOD NEWS.  Sterile --
no problem.  Impotent -- PROBLEM!  So, heating is no problem.

Like Cowboy, I wouldn't have a problem walking in front of it, but I
don't think I would want to look at it for an extended period.

Keep this in mind, the woman in charge of the original testing at EPA
used to arrive at the lab in the morning, walk to the diathermy
chamber, open the door (to open the interlocks), turn on 10 kW of RF,
enter the chamber and close the door.  This closed the interlocks and
turned on the RF.  Once she warmed up, she would open the door
(opening the interlocks), turn off the transmitter, and remove her
hat, scarf and coat.  She would begin her day.

Regarding AM fields, GET REAL!  You really cannot exceed safe levels
without touching the steel.  Yes, there are arguments, and now people
are stating you can (once again) climb an energized tower.  I'm
unwilling to allow this, but I do understand it.  (I fear future law
suits.)  You cannot overheat your eyes on an AM tower, so who cares?
If you live off the ground system, your only concerns are your
wireline phone and stereo.  Get over it, and construct some loops so
you don't have to pay for lighting!

Finally, there are several studies, including a very large British
study that shows heating the brain somewhat aids in the ability to
"work" or compute, and especially to learn.  They were mostly
concerned about their 900 MHz and 1800 MHz phones, but as they were
trying to show it was bad, they showed the minor heating was actually
good.

Bottom line:  Don't look into any high power feed horn.  THAT can be
bad for your eyes.  Also, if you are actively trying to become a
daddy, don't heat your nuts.  On American Airlines (First Class) warm
nuts are good, but if you are trying to be a daddy.... not so much.
On the other hand, if your woman and you are at odds on the subject...

Hey, understand this:  Lay on the beach at Noon with no sun-block.
What happens?  You get sunburn.

Go out at night, at a full moon.  Lie out there.  Any problem?  Of
course not.  It is a matter of exposure.  (Ignoring the sun's
ionizing radiation) sun light doesn't hurt you, as long as the
exposure is reasonable.  Overheat?  Problem.  Sunburn.  Just like RF,
sunlight can be bad if you get too much, but as long as you don't
have heating effects, it isn't a problem.  PLUS, a little heating is
fine, as long as the blood can take away the heat.

This RF fear really makes me angry.  Read the studies.  Get over it.
Unless it is ionizing, it isn't bad.