[BC] RIAA and Copying

Broadcast List Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue Jan 15 17:08:03 CST 2008

This is kind of interesting considering the announcement at Macworld
today during Steve Jobs' Keynote Presentation.

It seems that MOVIES are now going to be released on DVDs which have
one version of the DVD copy (encoded, but with broken security), AND
A VERSION FOR DOWNLOADING into Apple TV, and the iPod.  It was
unclear from the real-time blog I was reading if there is DRM on the
second copy of the movie, or its resolution.  It would make sense for
it to be DVD resolution since Apple TV is intended to be played back
on an HDTV via HDMI.  I have yet to watch the video of Jobs'
presentation.

Scroll down to 10:06 PT in the blog (as it is -- they keep editing
it) at <http://www.macworld.com/article/131486/2008/01/liveupdate.html>

Another unrelated feature of Apple TV announced today is the ability
to download rented HD content in addition to standard DVD content.
Movies may be downloaded (rented) is both SD and HD.

By the way Apple TV is not limited to Mac computers, iPhones and
iPods.  It also works with PCs, and of course any TV, SD or HD.

OH, and now not only do I need a new Mac Pro 8-Core, but also a Mac
Air.  The rumors had that one nailed, only it is thinner and lighter
(and weirder) than imagined.

--chip