[BC] Diathermy

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Tue Jan 15 18:26:12 CST 2008

Yikes
One of the photos shows a girl getting her sinus treated with a big RF electrode. Now that is a BAD idea. Too close to the eyeballs. (My Aloe diathermy has a D&C knife (wire hoop at the end of a phenolic probe) with it, and the book recommends testing your skills with a rare cut of steak before tearing into a patient. Remember this was pre-WWII.)

Another photo shows a Raytheon Microtherm. That unit ran on 915 or 2450 MHz, with a small magnetron. It was not recommended to put the little corner reflector/dipole over your important parts, like your eyes....
Thanks for the article,
John