[BC] Long wire antennas

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Wed Jan 16 01:46:47 CST 2008

I believe there's another Korean LMA in place. The 1150 site referred to is
the OLD 1150 rooftop site downtown that was decommissioned in the early
1970's. Multicultural had a CP to move 1230 to one of those towers, but it
didn't work well at all.

They did construct a diplex with KBLA 1580 where 1230 was diplexed on KBLA's
NE tower. Lots of filters and cabinets-I helped install them. That site worked
fairly well, in that the signal was a pretty good circle and what you'd expect
for a 1 kW station. The tower was almost perfect at 1230 (199 feet-the base
resistance at 1230 was 36 ohms-an almost perfect quarter wave). I dod the
measurements and it worked, but unfortunately it only put about 35 mV/m into
Koreatown-far short of the 125 mV/m the Odd Fellows hammock site does. The
Hammock is VERY directional east/west, with much less signal north/south. As
an example we could hardly pick up 1230 at the studios in Pasadena (10 miles
north of downtown L.A.)-even on car radios it sucked. When on the KBLA tower,
it came in like a local! Actually, I think the hammock was designed that
way-remember there used to be a 1240 in Pasadena. At the Santa Monica pier,
the KBLA tower measured .7 mV/m, the hammock 2.5 mV/m.

-D