[BC] "I Don't Know Anything About Programming, but ..."

Tom Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 11:01:15 CST 2008

Well, lessee -

Among the membership are Walter Powers (JRN), Marlin Taylor(XM78), Jim
Schlichting (Starborne), Phil Stout (Music Choice), Jim Masters (Group
Moderator/air talent), Bob Lowry, Bill Howard, Charles Sanzone (Gaslight
Revue), Dave MacIntosh, Scott Smith (Ferrante & Teicher's manager), many
others.  Including Yours Truly, of course.

The reason more stations aren't carrying BI/EZ - corporate cookie-cutter
approach to programming.  Of course, when that all started, there was a
feedback effect; as stations shifted away from BI, record companies
slowed, then ceased the production of source material - eventually it
became prohibitive to gather 101 strings into a recording studio to
record even custom tracks... and so we are where we are.

BTW - There has to be SOME significant interest, or Jones wouldn't still
be offering it - some minimum number of stations subscribing, getting
updated material as available...

OTOH, The Mantovani Orchestra, Frank Chacksfield, many of the European
orchestras - or at least their successor organizations, in cases where
the original music director/arranger/conductor is no longer with us -
still manage to "pack 'em in", as they say.  Heck, the same is true of
Big Bands - and THAT format's been "dead" even longer than BI!

As to MoYL - noticed in Radio OnLine that Music Of Your Life has sold,
or at least has a "memo of understanding" with, Concierge's HALO to take
over the format, distribution, etc.  Clear Channel is providing the
receivers and satellite links through their Satellite Services (CCSS)
division:

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/$rol.exe/headline_id=b10545

WKTZ, WCAM, KNCT...

Several more; I did have a list, but I seem to have misplaced the
bookmark....

Tom S. - I've got the contacts for sources; need senior financing to
acquire station(s) in major market to show the kiddies what REEL (sic)
Radio should sound like!