[BC] "I Don't Know Anything About Programming, but ..."

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Mon Jan 21 15:14:40 CST 2008

------ At 12:01 PM 1/21/2008, Tom wrote: -------

>Among the membership are Walter Powers (JRN), Marlin Taylor(XM78),
>Jim Schlichting (Starborne), Phil Stout (Music Choice), Jim Masters
>(Group Moderator/air talent), Bob Lowry, Bill Howard, Charles
>Sanzone (Gaslight Revue), Dave MacIntosh, Scott Smith (Ferrante &
>Teicher's manager), many others.  Including Yours Truly, of course.

I've joined the group. They're a great group of people, most of whom
I know and have worked with at some point.

>The reason more stations aren't carrying BI/EZ - corporate
>cookie-cutter approach to programming.  Of course, when that all
>started, there was a feedback effect; as stations shifted away from
>BI, record companies slowed, then ceased the production of source
>material - eventually it became prohibitive to gather 101 strings
>into a recording studio to record even custom tracks... and so we
>are where we are.

Actually, the record companies slowed their production of music
requiring the IBMA, Schulke, Bonneville and others to record their
own. As I recall, we'd schedule our sessions along with Muzak and
others to keep the players in place without extra cartage charges and
setup fees.

>BTW - There has to be SOME significant interest, or Jones wouldn't
>still be offering it - some minimum number of stations subscribing,
>getting updated material as available...

I've spoken to Marlin and Phil in the past year and am delighted
they're still doing it. I believe Phil is doing the German Music
Choice. I also heard Marlin is doing one of the Classical channels. Not sure.

The big issue is the mistaken assumption (I believe) on the part of
ad agencies that the audience is too old and doesn't spend money
easily. If one of the big consolidated companies really wanted to do
a niche format on the IBUZ secondary they might put up the money to
make it available so unique formats on secondaries might actually
mean something.

>As to MoYL - noticed in Radio OnLine that Music Of Your Life has
>sold, or at least has a "memo of understanding" with, Concierge's
>HALO to take over the format, distribution, etc.  Clear Channel is
>providing the receivers and satellite links through their Satellite
>Services (CCSS) division:

Al Ham sold it years ago, didn't like how it was being done, bought
it back, sold it again and it's changed hands several times since. In
the process the name talent dropped out.

Rich