[BC] Long Wire Antennas

Richard Fry rfry at adams.net
Tue Jan 22 08:26:31 CST 2008

Dan Deeb wrote:
>I have been following the threads about long wire antennas and need
>some help.  I lost my tower site and have been operating under a STA
>to be dark until I can find a site, get the permits and erect a
>tower.  However I'd rather be on the air just for revenue .... would
>like to explore "long wire".  I am 5KW/ permit for 10 KW at 620.
_________

If you have access to a decent r-f ground, you might ask your consultant
about some form of an inverted L.   A quick look with NEC shows that
feeding the end of a 300 foot wire with the first 100 feet in the vertical
plane and the rest in the horizontal plane would have an omni h-plane
pattern for v-pol. The v-plane pattern has a lot of high-angle radiation
though.

If the ground and matching losses were 5 ohms, total, then the h-plane gain
would be about 1.63 dBi, which is "only" 3.4 dB below that of a 1/4-wave
monopole using a 2-ohm r-f ground -- if that is OK with the FCC.  That
efficiency is about 206 mV/m at 1 km for 1 kW of applied power.

Input Z shows to be 11 -j 144 ohms.  The ATU spec might be special due to
the r-f voltages generated for even a moderate amount of applied power.

RF