[BC] RFI stalls cars near Empire State Building

R A Meuser rameuser at ieee.org
Mon Jan 28 16:31:36 CST 2008

The DTV master antenna's most significant side lobe is about - 6 db at
45 to about 55 degrees or approx 2000 feet out. Other side lobes that
would impact the area where cars are having problems are about -10 db.
The main lobe is has .75 degree beam tilt and a gain of 12 to 19 db,
depending on the channel. The RSS voltage for 11 significant UHF
stations on Empire is approximately between 2 and 7 volts on the ground
for around 2000 feet distance. This does not include the contribution of
VHF TV stations which in general have much lower gain antennas nor does
it include about 3 volts RSS for all the FM stations combined. Could
there be nearly 10 volts RSS for all stations? - very possibly