[BC] Talk Radio losing influence?

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Thu Jan 31 02:02:20 CST 2008

And it was said--

>I keep telling people that Talk Show Hosts really have little
>influence. I've seen this happen over and over, again. They're seen
>by most people as just what they claim to be - entertainers. If
>anything, they're probably giving McCain more publicity than he
>could possibly afford to buy.

I think it depends on the host-- Limbaugh, like him or not, is still
the subject of intense scrutiny, and when he talks, people not only
listen but they react.  But there's more competition now, and more
opportunities to get a variety of opinions, even if on talk radio,
the opinions are still mostly right-wing.  Studies show that the
audience is feeling they aren't getting enough NEWS or enough
localism-- which, interestingly, has driven a large number of
righties (more than 30%) over to (gasp) NPR.

But I think the folks at Fox and the rightie talkers like Limbaugh
and O'Reilly, while still getting good numbers, are having a harder
and harder time blaming the usual villains-- Democrats, liberals,
feminists, etc.  Some of the hosts have become really tedious to
listen to-- and I am not saying that as a partisan; I am saying it as
a radio consultant, and yes I have trained my share of right wing
talkers.  The predictability of a lot of the hosts has not brought
new listeners or viewers into the fold.  Talk hosts these days are
mainly preaching to the choir-- when I was growing up, there were
hosts who had a wide audience of both righties and lefties and some
moderates.  But these days, the audience tends to be much
narrower.  More's the pity, since few ideas get exchanged.

And it's tough for the Limbaughs and O'Reillys to keep making the
case that the media are liberal when more than 90% of all talk shows
are still identifiably conservative.  Also, the fact that the
President is so deeply unpopular with both the right and the left --
and opinion polls continually point this out-- makes it a tougher
sell when a Limbaugh or a Hannity spouts off the usual talking
points.  Only the "true believers" remain to nod their heads in
agreement.  Everyone else is busy worrying about making the mortgage
payment or having enough money for heating oil.