[BC] Talk Radio losing influence?

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Thu Jan 31 08:40:18 CST 2008

------ At 03:02 AM 1/31/2008, Donna Halper wrote: -------

>I think it depends on the host-- Limbaugh, like him or not, is still
>the subject of intense scrutiny, and when he talks, people not only
>listen but they react.

That's where we part company. It's been shown repeatedly that
Limbaugh doesn't have much clout. As I've mentioned before, he's had
Republican guests on a show that doesn't have guests when they saw
themselves in trouble. Bush #1 appeared when he saw he was losing. He
lost. During the recent scandals there were Republican high officials
trying to explain it all away. They're now either out of government
or guests of the government. Talk Radio is about venting and
inventing controversy.

I've also mentioned before that the vast majority of hosts on both
sides have no training or experience in the areas they blather about.
They're proctologists performing brain surgery which might be
appropriate considering the location of many of their followers brains.

>But there's more competition now, and more opportunities to get a
>variety of opinions, even if on talk radio, the opinions are still
>mostly right-wing.  Studies show that the audience is feeling they
>aren't getting enough NEWS or enough localism-- which,
>interestingly, has driven a large number of righties (more than 30%)
>over to (gasp) NPR.

Beyond Newspapers and TV, I have no idea where I'd find local news
I'd trust on radio in my market. There actually isn't much being
done, leaving me with WBZ, Boston, as the closest State, National and
International news source. No local. In the grand tradition of
voicetracking, Clear Channel once proposed to move all their local
newsgathering (there's not much) to Hartford and do a news version of
Metro Traffic. Springfield, MA is a city riddled with crime (until
recently the 20th most dangerous city in the nation), corruption and
financial problems that caused the state to take over its finances.
With all that going on we probably have enough nefarious activity to
support an all news station. Maybe a station like WWV would work with
beeps interrupted by a count of the latest shootings.

>And it's tough for the Limbaughs and O'Reillys to keep making the
>case that the media are liberal when more than 90% of all talk shows
>are still identifiably conservative.  Also, the fact that the
>President is so deeply unpopular with both the right and the left --
>and opinion polls continually point this out-- makes it a tougher
>sell when a Limbaugh or a Hannity spouts off the usual talking
>points.  Only the "true believers" remain to nod their heads in
>agreement.  Everyone else is busy worrying about making the mortgage
>payment or having enough money for heating oil.

True. There's a terrible disconnect between hosts who brag about
their wealth and who they golf with and the average listener. The
"liberal Media" mantra is our version of the big lie. I'm always
amused when I hear Limbaugh with over 600 stations claim he's not
part of the mainstream media. Same with Hannity, O'Reilly and the
other folks who have syndicated radio shows and are impossible to
avoid on cable. It's all schtick. Old schtick. Tiresome schtick.
Pseudo patriotic schtick.

I'll repeat: even in the headiest times of Talk Radio, the national
hosts have had virtually no significant influence. Local hosts who
actually live in their markets and deal with local politics might
have a bit more. It's still schtick. Old schtick. Tiresome schtick.

Beyond marching Liberals off to some Gulag they have no solutions.
They don't have the backgrounds to provide any.

Rich